I have decided to jump on the Blogwagon. There is just too many cool blogs around these days. Seriously, you all make the mini community grow more global everyday. I salute you.
For my first post, I would like to share my latest Commission project. With the new Blood Angels Codex and Minis just about to hit the shelves, it seems fitting that my newest piece is a Redux of the classic Mephiston mini.
Full views of the Green can be seen here: http://coolminiornot.com/244106
If you would like to vote on the finished mini: http://coolminiornot.com/246697
I was asked to take the original mini, chop him up, and combine him with the more modern plastics. I had never done anything more with Greenstuff than some gap filling, so I had a lot to learn. The majority of the Greenstuff work was done with Pressmoulds. The chestplate, and both shoulderpad icons are Pressmoulded. The spiked gauntlets, sword handle, cloak, cables, blood vials, and hair are sculpted.
For painting inspiration, I was sent a cool illustration of Mephiston with long white hair. The rest of the scheme was just about trying to get a few different shades of red in there for a bit of variety.
I wasn't able to Pressmould the skull trim on his cloak, or save the original bits to glue on, as they were just too tiny. I ended up having to Freehand the design on instead.
The glowing eyes, Powersword, and Plasma Coils were my first attempt at this effect. I still have a bit more to learn about this technique, but that's part of the fun of trying to expand my painting skills.
I am trying to experiment with something new on each mini I paint. Having painted professionally for the last 6 years, I was always constrained by timelines and budgets. I was usually told to make it look "good enough", which doesn't help to push the envelope, or expand the skills.
Thanks for looking.